Do you avoid conflict at all cost? Do you deny conflict and pretend it doesn’t exist in order to keep the peace, only to find you have unwittingly created even more conflict than you might have initially imagined? You can run, and you can hide, unfortunately you can’t escape conflict!
Relationship conflict is a given. It is as much about circumstances as it is about people. Workplace conflicts are important because we spend a large portion of our life at work, plus we sometimes bring our workplace miseries home with us. Conflict makes people feel agitated and distressed, and it can take a major toll on one’s health. The challenge of conflict touches young and old in every facet of life.
In this highly interactive seminar, we will examine some effective ways to manage conflict, prevent conflicts from escalating and optimise your sense of well-being through self-regulation and constructive communication.
At the end of this interactive seminar, successful participants will:
- Understand the true meaning of conflict
- Identify the root causes of conflict
- Recognise the physical and emotional impact of avoiding conflict
- Learn the five conflict management styles
- Be aware of their personal triggers
- Learn how to develop a personal anti-trigger plan
- Identify barriers to effective communication in conflict management
- Master powerful phrases to communicate effectively when managing conflicts
- Communicate negative messages positively
- Gain confidence in managing conflicts constructively to achieve win-win
Introduction to Conflict Management
- What is Conflict?
- Types of Conflicts
- Root Causes of Conflicts
- The Physical and Emotional Impact of unresolved conflicts
Styles & Approaches to Conflict Management
- Introducing the 5 conflict management styles
- Determining the Right Approach for Different Situations
- Be aware of your personal triggers
- Developing a personal anti-trigger plan
- Case studies
Inhibiting Patterns of Communication in Conflict Management
- Communication Pitfalls that Contribute to Conflicts
- Common Mistakes to Avoid in Conversations
- Recognise Intercultural Barriers in Communication
- Avoid Stereotyping and Ethnocentrism
Positive Communication Skills in Conflict Management
- Powerful Phrases for Effective Communication in Managing Conflicts
- Questions to Start a Conversation
- Five Steps to Communicating Bad News Effectively
- The LEVIS Model for a Win-Win Outcome
- Role Plays to put all your Skills to Work
Lecture, video clips, group discussion, individual exercise, role-plays
1 Day (8 hrs)
About the Facilitator
Graduated with honors from California State University. She is a Certified Professional Trainer (IPMA, UK), a Certified Neuro-Linguistic Programming Practitioner (NFNLP, USA) and an Associate Lecturer with SIM Global Education. She is a ThinkBuzan Licensed Instructor and an iMindMap Advanced Instructor facilitating Tony Buzan’s Mind Mapping® technique. Betty is also a Certified Instructor of Dr Edward de Bono’s Six Thinking Hats® Method and Lateral Thinking™ Application. She had attained a full Advanced Certificate in Training & Assessment (ACTA) under the Singapore Workforce Skills Qualification framework. She is a sub-committee member of the Singapore Training & Development Association and a core-member of the Adult Education Network Special Interest Group of Facilitation at the Institute of Adult Learning.
Betty was appointed as Director of Client Services at a renowned litigation law firm in San Francisco, USA for over a decade to manage the Asian clientele market due to her unique trilingual capability. Her passionate customer centric attitude led her to a prestigious Bronze Medal award for outstanding achievement in Service Excellence by the World Journal in the US. She had appeared in multiple radio talk shows for AM1450 in San Francisco and FM938 Live! in Singapore. Her articles were published in the Singapore Straits Times as well as India’s Hindustan Times. Her corporate experiences span across major industries in the aviation, financial & legal sectors.
Some of Betty’s workshop participants were from Wharf T & T (Hong Kong), Drydocks World Southeast Asia (Government of Dubai), National University of Singapore, National Heritage Board, Singapore Discovery Centre, Singapore Police Force, Singapore Prison Service, Changi Airport Group, Jurong Town Corporation, Singapore Tourism Board, Health Promotion Board, Ministry of Home Affairs, Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore, Land Transport Authority, Reed Exhibitions, United Overseas Bank, OCBC Bank, Singapore Telecommunications Ltd, ExxonMobil Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, ComfortDelGro Corporation Ltd & KPMG LLP, to name a few. Betty also conducts public workshops in Singapore and Hong Kong.
Betty enjoys a diverse cultural background having lived in the US and Japan for 17 years. She is fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin. Her outstanding professionalism and rich working experiences have helped her develop valuable life skills in Business Communication, Leadership & Management, Innovation & Creativity, Client Services and Personal Effectiveness. She believes in the power of maximizing one’s potential by improving and changing oneself from the inside out. Her passion is in helping individuals be the best they can be.